Sunday, December 11, 2005

For the Record

It was finally done.

For my roommate Meryl's surprise early-birthday party this weekend, I finally did what I'd been talking about for at least four years and sang "Love Hurts" at karaoke.

My previous attempts to sing the song had been limited to the phrase "love hurts," followed by ear-splitting (yet musically correct) falsetto caterwauling. This was the first time I had actually seen the lyrics to the song, which increased my appreciation for the masterpiece at least a dozen-fold.

Let's take a look at some choice samples, shall we?

"Love hurts, love scars,
Love wounds, and marks,
Any heart, not tough,
Or strong, enough
To take a lot of pain,
Take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
Love hurts, ooh ooh love hurts"

Yes. You just read the phrase "love is like a cloud. Holds a lot of rain." Genius!

"I’m young, I know,
But even so
I know a thing, or two
I learned, from you
I really learned a lot,
Really learned a lot
Love is like a flame
It burns you when it’s hot
Love hurts, ooh ooh love hurts"

How much did you learn? A lot? A lot. And what did you learn? That love is like a flame (that) burns you when it's hot.

For the record, it will take one vodka tonic and two vodkas on the rocks to get me to sing this if we're at a karaoke bar together. If there's an arbitrary scoring system, like there was for us, I will score a perfect 100.



Salt 'n' Pepa's "None of Your Business," I will sing for free. But only when accompanied by Aimee Jones.
that one guy you know, 8:55 PM | | | | | | | | |

6 Comments:

I vote on going to a Karoke bar.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 AM  
you kmow, i seem to remember you promising to sing frediie mercury's part in under pressure.

when are you going to cough up the goods one that one schreiner????

i'm waiting.

yours in bowie/queen duets
s to the v
Blogger Shayna, at 8:21 PM  
obviously i was drunk and typing in the dark when i wrote that comment.
Blogger Shayna, at 5:13 PM  
obviously i was drunk and typing in the dark when i wrote that comment.
Blogger Shayna, at 5:14 PM  
Schreiner, I feel like you are a baby who spoke his first word and I was too busy at work to hear it.

I think I speak for at least Shayna and I when I say we are proud of you and saddened to have missed such an amazing experience.
Blogger The Crippler, at 10:56 PM  
Sounds fun. You are very funny. Hope to see you do more stuff on AOTS.

Jeffrey
Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

Add a comment