Saturday, August 26, 2006

I Am Hurting Right Now

But not because of the usual crippling emotional issues.

Nope.

It's because, after 25 years of fearing them, loathing them, and dismissing them, I finally got around to that New Year's Resolution and joined a gym.

And by 'joined,' I mean that I'm currently in a two-week free trial membership. No commitment, they say. Honest.

My buddy Luis has kindly offered to show me the ropes of this activity, which is both strange and new to me. It's been pretty good so far, except for the soreness. Oh, the soreness. After the first day of 'working out' on Tuesday, I was a bit sore, but nothing too bad. Come Wednesday morning, however, when I couldn't lift my arm to turn off my alarm clock - that was a different story.

Still, I soldiered on - with only mild complaints and moderate doses of Advil.

Thursday I went back for more, and today, there is not a single part of my body above my waist that doesn't hurt when I try to do something normal - like making my bed, or washing my hair, or turning to my left. Or right, for that matter. I even had to hold my guitar away from my body this afternoon.

I was supposed to go again today, but decided to skip it so I'd be able to - I don't know, walk - when I go hiking tomorrow.

And despite all this, I do find myself semi-enjoying it. At the very least, I feel like I'm getting healthier. And it's also something else to do after work that's not sitting on my ass and playing Civilization 4 until 2 in the morning.

Also, it's fun rejecting the increasingly desperate sales pitches I have to sit through every time I try to leave.
that one guy you know, 5:08 PM | | | | | | | | |

1 Comments:

Congrats on the gym membership. I recently quit my gym because I was never going. It was like I was paying $30 a month just for the guilt, which, as the agnostic child of a Jewish mom and Catholic dad, I can get for free anytime I want.

Anyway, I can't believe you're in that bad of shape to begin with, with all the hiking you do. I'm surprised you're hurting so much. Are you working out with steroid freaks? :)
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 AM  

Add a comment