Monday, August 14, 2006

Back from Vegas

I just got back home from Las Vegas.

For those of you not up to date on my Casey Schreiner - Las Vegas relationship, I hate Las Vegas. It's the temperature of Tuscon, the traffic of L.A., and the tourists of Orlando - all in one cramped, polluted sprawl.

So, when I flew in to Vegas for work and spotted this pamphlet, prominently displayed in the airport terminal, I figured it was appropriate:



That said, I did have a small bit of fun. A large portion of it was from dressing up in the Office Jesus costume and taking it out into the city. It was the first time I'd really brought that character outside of the G4 offices, and people's reactions were great. On the strip, people either reacted in a huge way, or not at all - and both were amusing.



On one end of the extreme, I could literally stand right next to people playing slot machines and they wouldn't even bat an eye. On the other end, a group of Groomsmen asked me to be in their wedding portrait. So, you never know, really.

Most of the rest of the weekend was spent working with talent on additional skits and bumps and hanging out with the web team (who are going to have some pretty awesome content from this Vegas expedition). We hit up the Imperial Palace karaoke bar for some drunken caterwauling. In honor of his new upcoming solo album, I chose to rock out with a mediocre karaoke version of Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac song "Second Hand News." Several people enjoyed it, although it wasn't nearly as good as my rendition of DEVO's "Girl U Want" a few weeks ago.

I also tried some Irish whiskey for the first time. Bushmills Blackbush, I believe. Interesting, I'd say. Not at all what I expected it to taste like, based on the descriptions I was given. I'll have to make a second pass at some point in the future, but for now I think I'll stick to what I likes.

No gambling for me, though. No sir. Otherwise, how was I going to finish David McCullough's "1776"? Reading a book on the Revolutionary War while in Las Vegas? I did mention I hate that city, right?

I've only got a few bits in this week of shows - the opening wedding bit, some fancy shots of the hosts rockin' out in a fancy yellow car, and the afforementioned Office Jesus bits. I'm shooting and cutting some more tomorrow, and I think you'll dig 'em.

See if I can hide my oncoming sinus infection with some flashy editing.

Labels:

that one guy you know, 8:08 PM | | | | | | | | |

1 Comments:

Imperial Palace Karaoke! That's where I went when I went stomping off in anger my first night in vegas when I refused to settle for a mediocre time.

Now I know if we get you drunk enough you will sing.
Blogger -Laurel-, at 11:46 PM  

Add a comment