Sunday, February 05, 2006

History, History

I spent most of the Super Bowl Sunday glancing at the television before ultimately losing interest. Although that one commercial with Fabio was pretty funny.

Instead, I finished up a book on the history of the founding of Seattle.

Yes, I read a book on the founding of a city. For pleasure.

No ordinary history book, though, this one is called "Sons of the Profits," by Bill Speidel. Speidel seems like someone I would have liked knowing. He was a colorful local historian who fought tirelessly for the preservation of run-down, yet historic buildings. He organized the now semi-famous Underground Tour to fund further preservation of Pioneer Square. He was also a bit of a showman, at one point re-burying part of Seattle's old wooden sewer system so he could unearth it when the news crews were there.

After taking the Underground Tour when I visited Seattle for Thanksgiving (highly recommended, by the way ... both the city and the tour), I picked up a copy of "Sons of the Profits" for myself. Speidel had that all-important attribute to history writers - a great voice.

The various episodes of unscrupulous land deals, civic project shortcuts, political and business backstabbing, and the all-important brothel industries of early Seattle are all told as if one of your quirky great-uncles were telling them over a pint of beer. It is really a fantastic read, especially for lovers of history. More especially for lovers of slightly-dirty history. And even more especially for people who live in Los Angeles and are starved for local versions of this sort of thing.

I've been reading a lot of history, lately. Come to think of it, I don't remember reading any fiction since I've moved out to L.A. I don't know if it's because it's easier to read in short spurts, or the sequential nature of the writing helps keep track of people and events, or even if it's just me wanting to explore another potential non-traditional career path. You know, one that I'm supremely unqualified for.

Hmmm. Somethin' to think about.

In the meantime, if you dig reading history on your own volition, the following books are all excellent reads:
- "John Adams" - David McCullough
- "Founding Brothers" - Joseph Ellis
- "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" / "Theodore Rex" - Edmund Morris

any suggestions for what's next? I'm lookin' at you, "Assassination Vacation" ...
that one guy you know, 6:03 PM | | | | | | | | |

4 Comments:

This is hilarious! I was just talking to a couple friends of mine about doing a trip this summer to San Fran, Seattle, and Vancouver. I will check out that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

I don't know how you like your history, but I really enjoyed The Devil in the City of White: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, by Erik Larson. The book paralells the stories of two men: Daniel H. Burnham and H.H. Holms. Burnam is the architect behind the world fair in Chicago in 1893 and Holmes was a serial killer who used the fair as a way to lure in his victims. Both men were brilliant and their stories are amazing. It's a great book. Holmes actually scared the crap out me. He was a clever, frightening, evil man indeed.

I love your blog. You post some really interesting things.
Blogger Unknown, at 7:58 PM  
You will not be disappointed with Assassination Vacation. Although being a This American Life listener, I had a really hard time NOT reading the book in Sarah Vowell's voice, which, sadly, as far as book readings go, can be rather annoying.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 PM  
I was also going to suggest the devil in the white city- Columbian Exposition 4EVA!

seriously- if i know casey, and sometimes i think i do, there aint nothing better than an historical account of gentleman serial killer against the backdrop of beaux arts architectural egomania...plus, as you might have learned from sufjan stevens, thats where the ferris wheel was invented (it was our answer to the eiffel tower) and also where frank lloyd wright became inspired by the architecture at the japanese exhibit...and that bastard olmsted is in it...but y'know. i guess i only thought it was kinda ok. no seriously- i LIKE-liked it.

as far as assassination vacation goes, i listened to the book on cd during our move to the south. and it made it that much better. the fact that you have not read this yet stuns me. she lives my dream, and you'll see why.

-S.A.V.
Blogger Shayna, at 8:13 AM  
Okay, first, I totally agree with Shayna. You would love Devil in the White City. And as a matter of fact, if you want, I can mail you my copy. That's how much I believe you'll like it. Just ask and it's yours.

Second, I still have Founding Brothers and haven't yet read it. Shockingly, my friend at work actually recommended it to me too, as one of his favorite books. Why is it that the history nerds are the only people who'll be my friends?
Blogger The Crippler, at 8:38 PM  

Add a comment