Sunday, January 22, 2006

Routine?

For the second weekend in a row, I've ventured out of the cancerous sprawl and into the uninhabited - yet conveniently located - Los Angeles metro wilderness areas.

This time it was up into the Santa Monica Mountains, which, being close to the ocean, are not as subject to the Smog Effect as the Angeles Mountains are. I chose a short hike from Topanga Canyon State Park to the Parker Mesa Overlook. It took about 3 hours roundtrip, and was fantastic the entire way.

Thus, hiking reminded me:

1. That I can realistically do this every weekend.
2. That it's one of the few physical activities I actually enjoy.
3. Still, the best parts of Los Angeles are the parts where no one lives.
4. I need new hiking shoes.



I also, for the first time, hiked the return trip with my iPod on. I'd never even thought of doing that, until someone from MySpace suggested it. I've got to say, when you're backtracking on the return trail, it makes the hike go much faster (so thanks, Adam). Even when you've got blisters on both feet. I also liked the thought of hiking in a rustic canyon, near the hippie capital of Los Angeles, while listening to folk music. Just kind of paints a complete picture, you know?
that one guy you know, 5:43 PM | | | | | | | | |

1 Comments:

Funny you should mention shoes, in preparation for the aforementioned death valley trip, I just purchased myself a new pair of Merrell hiking shoes. I prefer shoes over boots, for agility's sake. I went with the Chameleon Ventilator II's. They are a bit pricey (although everything is cheaper in the off season), but when hiking, your shoes are probably the most important piece of gear you can invest in. I'll let you know what I think when the foot of snow we have melts and I can hit some trails, but I'm pretty optomistic as Merrell generally makes superior quality footwear. You can check them out for yourself here, or anywhere where fine hiking shoes are sold.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 PM  

Add a comment