Sunday, October 14, 2007

My Favorite Building in Los Angeles



I remember the first time I drove down Wilshire Boulevard toward downtown, back in 2003. I was still out here as a "study abroad" program for Boston University, and was absolutely in love with the art deco of the Miracle Mile -- even though I was still in the "I kind of hate this city" mode for almost everything else.

While making the rare trip to the city core, I distinctly remember seeing this giant, green copper tower rising from the landscape around it. At night, it's lit up, making it stand out even more. The only sort of information I could catch while driving past it was that it was part of the Southwestern University School of Law.

Sometimes, I fall in love with buildings. This was one of those times. I still have a soft spot for Boston's Customs Tower, a building I would go well out of my way to walk by whenever I was anywhere near Boston's downtown:



Tonight, while killing time on the internet, it came up again -- and I started delving a bit deeper.

I read the Wiki, then investigated the Southwestern web site, which actually has some excellent images and information.

Unfortunately, it looks like the building is closed to the public, except for one day a year when they sell tickets to a 1920's tea room. And I missed it. Which is too bad, because I totally would have paid.

Anyone out there a Southwestern student who can sneak me in? Must. See. Art-Deco. Building. On National Register of Historic Places!

that one guy you know, 11:06 PM | | | | | | | | |

0 Comments:

Add a comment