Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Quick Bits and Phone Pics

Some hasty updates, just so you don't think I abandoned anyone. Now with cell phone pictures! Because I can.



I caught the Calexico show at the Henry Fonda last night, with hiking pals Will and Renee. It was the fifth time I've seen Calexico live, and they once again put on an amazing show. It was a great mix of new and old, with an especially searing rendition of "Not Even Stevie Nicks..."

As usual, the Fonda's acoustics were great. Every instrument and voice was clear, and the trumpet blasts completely filled the auditorium. John Convertino is a joy to watch while he's drumming. Like some crazed, flailing kraken at the back of the stage.

They had Salvador Duran do a mini-opening set, as well as join the band on several songs. Wow, that guy's freakin' talented. He only sings one verse on the "In the Reins" EP, but in concert his voice absolutely demands attention. His hands work the guitar in ways you never would have even thought of ... AND he provides his own percussion by stomping and tapping on a wooden block he stands on. Really, really incredible to watch. I can't find anything on his music online, but apparently he's also an accomplished artist in Tuscon.

Man, I gotta get down to Tuscon.

The Black Heart Procession opened, with a set that seemed to go on a bit longer than most opening bands I've seen. I'd never heard them before, but I think they warrant a little investigatory listening. They seemed like a more subdued Wilco crossed with a Southwestern My Morning Jacket. Their rockin' songs were pretty good, but whenever they got drone-y, I kind of lost interest.

And now, completely unrelated, here is a behind-the-scenes pic of something I'm working on. It should air tomorrow.



Oh, also ... for Pete - you should go see An Inconvenient Truth if you can. Good stuff, engaging stories, and not at all boring.
that one guy you know, 11:59 AM | | | | | | | | |

1 Comments:

You know what? You should probably bring that thumb tuxedo on Saturday too.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 AM  

Add a comment