Sunday, March 12, 2006

Outside Acting

I've been a little bit wrapped up over the past few weeks, doing several activities of varying degrees of interest.

A few weeks ago, my friend Guy asked me to help him out with a "Classiest Sketch Competition" at the new Upright Citizen's Brigade Theatre in Hollywood. I assmued he wanted me to help him come up with a few ideas - which I did - but he was more interested in having me act one of the roles.

Acting. In front of people. At a bona-fide comedy theatre.

You can understand why I was excited, and if you know me, then you also understand why I was absolutely 100% against doing it. Sure, it was something I used to do, and used to very much enjoying doing. Live sketch comedy is something I haven't done since college, and miss very, very much.

On the other hand, I haven't done live sketch comedy since college. How horribly out of practice would I be? Did I remember how to handle a line flub? Did I remember how to remember lines?

And so, after much hemming and hawing, several 'no's and a few more 'maybe's, I agreed to act the role of Maj. Hugo Montmouth-St. Sebastian, Shock Comedian, in a very Noel Coward-esque sketch about social class, sexual tension, and two babies being switched at birth. And despite all my brain's protests to the contrary, I had a very good time ... even though we went first and scored a bit above the middle of the pack in the competition.

It was refreshing to be doing something entertaining and creatively challenging outside of the borders of what I usually do at work.

Even though the judging was completely (and hilariously) arbitrary, next time we're totally winning.
that one guy you know, 10:49 AM | | | | | | | | |

0 Comments:

Add a comment